As a pharmacy technician, your primary role is to support pharmacists in dispensing medication to patients. During your job interview, you may be asked a series of questions to gauge your knowledge of pharmaceuticals, patient care, and customer service. To help you prepare, we’ve compiled a comprehensive list of pharmacy technician job interview questions and answers.
- What inspired you to become a pharmacy technician? Answer: Discuss your passion for helping people, your interest in science and medicine, and any relevant educational or professional background.
- What do you think are the most important qualities for a pharmacy technician to possess? Answer: Emphasize qualities such as attention to detail, strong communication skills, ability to work under pressure, and a commitment to customer service.
- How do you handle difficult customers or patients? Answer: Share your experience dealing with challenging customers, highlighting your ability to remain calm, empathize with their concerns, and find solutions to their problems.
- How do you maintain accuracy when dispensing medication? Answer: Explain your method for verifying prescriptions, double-checking dosages, and ensuring that medications are dispensed correctly.
- How do you handle medication recalls or shortages? Answer: Discuss your familiarity with the pharmacy’s procedures for managing medication recalls or shortages, emphasizing your ability to communicate effectively with patients and pharmacists.
- Describe a time when you had to work with a team to accomplish a goal. Answer: Share an example of a successful project you completed with a team, highlighting your ability to collaborate, communicate effectively, and contribute to the group’s success.
- What do you think are the most common mistakes made by pharmacy technicians? Answer: Discuss common mistakes such as misreading prescriptions, dispensing the wrong medication, or failing to properly label medications, and explain how you avoid these errors.
- How do you stay up-to-date with new medications and pharmaceutical developments? Answer: Discuss your methods for staying informed about new medications and pharmaceutical developments, such as attending conferences, reading industry publications, or participating in continuing education programs.
- How would you handle a situation where a patient is experiencing an adverse reaction to medication? Answer: Explain your knowledge of the signs and symptoms of adverse drug reactions and discuss your method for responding to such situations, such as consulting with a pharmacist or referring the patient to medical assistance.
- How do you ensure patient confidentiality and HIPAA compliance? Answer: Discuss your understanding of HIPAA regulations and share examples of how you have maintained patient confidentiality in the past.
- Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB): https://www.ptcb.org/
- National Healthcareer Association (NHA): https://www.nhanow.com/
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP): https://www.ashp.org/